Featured post

View video: Why I Wrote "Mr. Bandookwala, M.B.A., Harvard"

Monday, August 02, 2010

K.M.Mathew, Patriarch of Malayala Manorama Is No More

K.M.Mathew, patriarch of the Malayala Manorama (one of the largest circulated newspaper in India) newspaper group and publications including Vanitha (India's largest circulated women's fortnightly), Week, etc. is no more. He died on the morning of August 1, 2010. He was 93. He was responsible for the growth of Manorama as a frontline daily and for its diversification into other product categories.

During my stint in Malayala Manorama I had only a brief interaction with him. However, in meetings he stood out for his jovial nature and his witticisms. When his son Mammen Mathew said that a colleague of ours wasn't very old though he had white hair, Mathukuttychayan (He was fondly called by this name.) cracked:

"Even I am not that old though my hair is white."

The Hindu obit appears here.

No comments: