Featured post

View video: Why I Wrote "Mr. Bandookwala, M.B.A., Harvard"

Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Wonderful Innovation of "Missed Calls"

Besieged with work these days. I don't know what a man achieves after working so much. Bad health? Bad-mouthing by close relatives? One of the biggest malaises facing the modern generation is lying (sitting) in front of a stationery screen, as if the small screen was life itself. Include the tiny mobile phone screen also in this. Even life has become a bit morose, a bit depressive with sitting before a computer which is connected to a 256 kbps Internet connection. I wonder how much of our time is lost in waiting for files to download, the site to load, the bane of Internet technology.

Modern technology is okay if everything works. Does it? I hear mobile phone users will number a billion soon. So that means everyone in the country will own a mobile phone and can make calls anywhere he/she wishes. However, just think, is it so? Most networks are so bad half the time what I hear is:

"Can you hear me? Hello, hello, hello, hello, hello?

"Your voice is breaking, hello, hello, hello, hello, hello?

"Can you hear me?"

"I can't hear you."

That's why we depend on giving "missed calls." It's a wonderful innovation of the Indian mind, this missed call. What a way to communicate! Hats off! We know the message has gotten across and we will not be losing any of those talk times, talk money, rather. We make so many missed calls so that there is perfect understanding between the caller and receiver as to what exactly is happening.

I am @johnwriter on Twitter and John.Matthew on Facebook. I blog here.

No comments: