Featured post

View video: Why I Wrote "Mr. Bandookwala, M.B.A., Harvard"

Sunday, November 14, 2010

List Your Favorite Authors - First 15 of Them

Shankari has tagged me for my list of favorite authors. I am supposed to list fifteen of them in as many minutes. Guess blogging is also about community and tagging. So wrote the following list and also tagged my friends who are of a literary bent. So, here's my list of 15 authors I have read and whose prose has enthralled me and still doesn't fail to encircle me in its thralldom:

 

  1. Leo Tolstoy
  2. Charles Dickens
  3. Ernst Hemingway
  4. Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  5. Floyd Salas
  6. Miguel Cervantes
  7. John Steinbeck
  8. Jean Paul Sartre
  9. Albert Camus
  10. Salman Rushdie
  11. William Faulkner
  12. Allen Ginsberg
  13. Jim Morrison
  14. Walt Whitman
  15. Munshi Premchand

 

Failing memory or what I don't know. It took longer than it should have. It's by no means exclusive and, pray, not in the order of preference. However, Tolstoy occupies top of mind recall because of War and Peace. I forgot Ivan Turgenev, another author I have loved to read. I can think of many who were immensely more talented but couldn't find a place here. That's what we marketing practitioners call "top-of-mind-recall" a marketing and branding term.


I think great authors are like good wine. The more they are bottled and preserved the more they appear exclusively exotic.

No comments: