Featured post

View video: Why I Wrote "Mr. Bandookwala, M.B.A., Harvard"

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Bend in the Road, Taking Stock

There are a lot of small things that disturb a writer's mind and concentration, now that I have decided to retire from active working life. God has provided enough and I hope will keep providing in future too. Corporate life wasn't too good for me. I regret why I didn't do an MBA instead of Industrial Engineering which I preferred. These days having an MBA is a passport to promotions and a better life. It seems all they want is an MBA from whichever institute, no matter. I lost out in the corporate stakes because of this particular reason. I feel jealous of people drawing a salary of Rs hundred thousand or more. Ironically, these same people complain that they are broke by the end of the month. But now that it is past I can look towards doing more meaningful things, e.g., writing. No, I don't mean the "hack" kind of writing that most publications feature. I mean literature in all its beauty and resplendence, I want to capture nature and its myriad moods, and write about men women and their mean ways. 

This has relevance to the novel I am writing because in it I satirise an MBA. Bandookwala is a person who is highly qualified, however his qualification doesn't allow his talents to be properly utilised in the organisation in which he is thrown. He feels besieged by those around him, trapped. Though this would have forced a man to quit, he fights valiantly, believing in himself and his principles. 

The book draws inspiration from my corporate life of working in realty companies, doing their marketing writings. There is a sad lack of understanding of an employees needs for security and a steady life. He can be called to meeting in minutes, asked to go anywhere, and is generally treated as a servant. I don't know when Indian companies will learn (if at all) to treat an employee with respect. 

All this occurred to me when I see those executive types walking to board a bus/train to work in the morning slinging their back packs. I feel sad and sorry for them. But they want to make a career, and its their life, so I won't say much. Bye for now.

John is @johnwriter on Twitter and John.Matthew on Facebook. He blogs here. His Youtube Channel Page. His novel Mr. Bandookwala, M.B.A., Harvard.

No comments: