Featured post

View video: Why I Wrote "Mr. Bandookwala, M.B.A., Harvard"

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Yesterday I sat in an orange office, facing an orange table!

The cursory (:smile:) to introduce this piece. (: This, the smiley bracket was invented by Peter Griffin, and is used with his kindest permission:) This is to ward off criticism that I am slowly losing my sense of humor as a colleague recently alleged (see the comment on one of my postings below). This colleagues said "we, in the office are shocked," now how the hell am I to know, you in the office would be shocked by something I wrote on my blog, my personal space? Come on, isn't freedom of expression guaranteed by the constitution?

Not to worry, that won't happen, I mean losing my sense of humor. I am still going strong, and as Elton John (my favorite singer) sings,

"Don´t you know I´m still standing better than I ever did
Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid
I´m still standing after all this time
Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind."


It's like this. I am looking for work and yesterday I had this interview in New Bombay, Vashi to be exact. What do I see when I get there. Oh the usual security-bicurity stuff, forms to be filled, and a building painted a bright orange (my heart skipped a beat). Must be the latest trend, definitely adds some shock value, doesn't it, I ask looking at the monstrosity? Losing my sense of humor, no way!

Not only that there was an orange reception, orange chairs, a shocking violet tackboard in front of every employee. I am asked to go to the second floor in a lift that is also orange. When I emerge on the second floor, what do I see. Orange, orange, orange, everywhere. Even, you won't believe this, a very tempting ripe red orange table that stood appetizingly before me. I love oranges, one of my favorite fruit, and had to swallow hard the temptation to drop drool all over the smooth table top.

And the table had spiky, pointed cones protruding from beneath the table top, juxtaposed level with my knees. I dread to think what would have happened if I crossed my legs. Aaaah! One of those spikes would have hit my knee and bruised me severely. How do people work in such offices, the major part of their lives? I kept seeing orange, orange all over on my way back from that architectural oddity. Losing my sense of humor? Well, sometimes I do.

Design complements function, did I hear right.
Tags: , , ,


No comments: